January 10, 2011

Tow Trucks, Agents and Doctors - Oh MY!

After a long hiatus, I am FINALLY feeling like myself again.

So the long-awaited second installment is here.  Insurance Companies, Hospitals and Specialty Doctors...What can I say? They are time consuming, EXPENSIVE and not much fun to deal with.  There is one thing to keep in mind when working with them...THEY WORK FOR YOU!

Here is a brief (incomplete) list of people I employed when I was in this car accident:

  • Insurance Adjuster
  • Insurance Customer Service Rep
  • Insurance Agent
  • Police Officer(s)
  • Tow Truck Company and Operator
  • ER Doctors 
  • Hospital Administrators
  • Nurses 
  • Radiologists
  • Chiropractor
  • Massage Therapists
  • Neurologist
  • Dentist
  • Endodontist
  • Pharmacy Tech
  • Pharmacist
  • Attorney


Just like real employees they like to be paid.  (They each sent a bill to prove it!)  Just like real employees they like to be told when they are going to be paid.  Unlike most employees, most of them are working with me and even waiting months to be paid in full.

So if you are in an accident and your Personal Injury Protection runs out-- It will only last about half way through your first ER visit-- let them know what your plans are for paying or not paying them. Oh - and DOCUMENT every conversation - you are entering into a verbal contract almost every time you speak with one of your "Employees."


Here is the organizational tip of the post: 
The easiest way to keep track of everything is with a file divided by provider.  That way, if you have multiple visits to the same provider you can keep track of the billing, payments and any contact you have with them.

When you have a conservation with a provider, note the date, time and who you spoke with.  Bullet point the main topic of conversation, details from the conversation, and be sure to write down any payments or arrangements that were made.  If you have a bill from the provider, make the notes right on the bill. If the conversation was about anything else mark the information on a paper attached the inside cover of the file.

If you have health insurance, match the Explanation of Benefits you receive from them to the bills they go with.  It will make it much easier to track down what has been paid and what hasn't when it is time to settle your claim with the other driver's insurance.

This is one of the files you will have for ten years, so you will want to color code it as a "Permanent File"



One more note: You hired your providers, you pay for them, and if they are not working for you, listening to you, or returning your calls, you can FIRE them.

I recently fired my pharmacist and my insurance agent.  I got tired of having my prescriptions shorted and my calls ignored.  It only took a few minutes and my new pharmacist and insurance agent are taking good care of me and are happy to be paid by me!

Just for clarification, I LOVE my insurance company.  Bear River Mutual is wonderful to work with.
Thank you Jan Shaw!  YOU SO ROCK!

No comments:

Post a Comment